When I initially started looking for cruelty free products, I assumed that I would end up having to shop a specialty store like Sephora or Ulta. However, this was not the case. To my surprise, cruelty-free products were readily available from the grocery store. Both Harris Teeter and Lowe’s Foods in my area have lots of brands to choose from. I’ve even seen them in stores like Family Dollar or drugstores like Walgreens.
Most I’ve seen are also charitable, giving back to their communities in some way or donating a percentage of profits. Buying these brands will just make you feel good!
Here are 10 brands to look for:
- Jasön- I’ve seen this brand in Harris Teeter, Lowe’s Foods, and Walgreen’s. They make everything from body wash to facial potions. Products are biodegradable and free of bad chemicals, like petroleum and sulfates. They also work with care.org to provide education to young girls all over the world. Most products like body wash or lotion retail for about $10, but I have seen them on a good sale quite often at both Lowe’s and Harris Teeter.
- Shea Moisture– One of my absolute favorite brands! Free of phthalates, mineral oil, petroleum, etc. They too make everything from body wash to skincare, and an array of haircare products. While most items retail for between $10-$15 dollars, places like Harris Teeter have them on special from time to time. I’ve also seen this brand at my local Family Dollar, which kind of surprised me, but good information to know! This brand also charitable by giving back to the communities providing ingredients, therefore being sustainable as well.
- Burt’s Bees– Always a good choice and available most everywhere. It’s actually based here in North Carolina (yay!) and make everything from body wash to facial products. I love their chapstick and body wash! Almost always see it on sale at the grocery store or Ulta. Most items are below $15, but it just depends on the product.
- Mrs. Meyers– Cleaning products are something I hadn’t thought of as being tested on animals, but unfortunately this happens too. I LOVE this brand! The geranium scent is my favorite and is available in hand soap, disinfectant, and laundry detergent. Available at most grocery stores, like Harris Teeter, Lowe’s and The Fresh Market.
- Yes Too!– This brand is also one of my most favorites and available most everywhere. Harris Teeter, drugstores, and even Food Lion carry the brand. They have the best masks and face wipes. Most items I would say are less than $10, but I often see them on sale.
- Alba– On a recent vacation, we ran out of sunscreen and needed to buy more. Unfortunately, the closest store did not have my favorite (Sun Bum), but they did have Alba. It worked wonderfully and I was able to hit the beach without leaving like a lobster. They make everything from body wash to shave cream. They are also charitable and work with care.org to provide brighter futures for girls all over the world.
Other cruelty-free brands I’ve seen/used include, Kiss My Face, Nature’s Gate, Deep Steep, and Love Beauty&Planet.
Switching to cruelty-free and less “chemically” products has been one of the best choices I’ve ever made. Breakouts, which have been a huge problem for me almost my whole life, are now almost non-existent. I firmly believe using chemical-free and vegan products have aided in my success. And most importantly, no cat or dog had to suffer (they don’t just use mice!) for my beauty or cleaning products.
Happy shopping! 🙂