Beginning in May of this past year, I had what I’m going to call a “moment” while trying on jeans in a local boutique. It was a terrifying, oh my goodness, I look horrible in these pants and I need to do something about it. After (almost tearfully) thanking the owners for their assistance, my mind immediately started to think of how to solve my lifelong issue with weight.
I follow quite a few health/fitness blogs and basically every weight loss post had one consistent theme: MyFitnessPal. People who had not only lost weight successfully, but maintained it as well. The app is free to download with the option to pay for extras like focusing on low-carb or macro. I am totally fine with the free version, but it’s important to do what works for you. I am able to track all the nutritional values of my food, plus it even has a barcode scanner for quick lookups. And if that wasn’t enough, you can also add your own recipes and save them. Many of the national restaurants are listed as well, so eating out is a little less stressful! It will also link with the Apple watch or Fitbit, so it can keep track of your steps or exercise.
Now with all that being said, I’m trying to lose the majority of this weight, without relying on constant exercise. This has equaled losing weight at a slow pace, but if that is what it takes, so be it. Working out has always been enjoyable for me, but I always ended up using my hard work to “reward” myself with a treat. Little did I know, calories burned do not equal decadent treats or dinners. I do exercise when/if I have time, but the days of stressing out over it are just that, OVER! Exercise is such a small part of the big picture to me.
Since starting MyFitnessPal, I have been slowly switching up my snacks and looking for comparable substitutes for different things. Below are 5 foods I’ve recently come across as suitable replacements, one of which is for let’s say, cheetos…
- Celias Tortillas– These tortillas are only 75 calories each, which if you know tortillas, this is great! Most are at least 100 or more.
- Godiva or Jello Pudding– I need sweets in my life, no exception! If I have the calories, usually I try to make it work, pudding is my go-to sweet. So many flavors, so little time! Also, I use ramekins to make it feel a bit fancier, more treat like.
- Califia Farms Coconut Milk– This stuff is a great sub for things you would use milk. Except don’t use if for pudding, it won’t set up. It’s only 45 calories for 8oz, which is crazy good! All brands are not the same, so I suggest taste testing. This brand is a bit nutty and I love to use it for hot cocoa or coffee. I’ve also subbed it for the milk in pancakes.
- Rold Gold Tiny Twists in Cheddar– I am not a pretzel fan, unless they are chocolate covered or this cheddar version. Great sub for potato chips, at 110 calories. Most chips run between 150-160 for a serving.
- Swiss Miss Light Hot Cocoa– At only 25 calories, it’s great for when you don’t have a lot of calories left, but still want something sweet!
I hope this post has been helpful and if you are on a weight loss journey as well, please know you are not alone. The struggle is real and can be totally frustrating, but I truly believe with the right tools, success is possible. ❤️