If you have been following me, you know that I love MyFitnessPal! I’ve struggled with weight my whole life and finally, for the first time, feel like I have it under control. I’ve been using it for a little over a year and I’m almost 40 pounds down. I have more energy, I’m happier and buying clothes is a pleasure now!
Whether you are using MyFitnessPal or another app/plan, here are a few things that have helped me along the way:
- Plan Ahead– I cannot say this enough!!!! Now, I am not generally a meal prepper, but I do try to have dinner ideas in mind. Sometimes, if I decide to make something complicated or it has several steps, I’ll do that in advance. This way, half my work is done and hopefully, hanger averted! We keep our freezer pretty well-stocked, so we can pull out whatever we need for dinners during the week.
- Cookbooks– While they are pretty to look at and lovely to have on display, cookbooks are one of your best tools! Don’t just let them collect dust, which I am totally guilty of doing! Pull them out and choose a time to go through one or two and find something different to add to your repertoire.
- Save Your Calories– During the week, I normally save the majority of my calories for dinner. I’ll keep my breakfast and lunch around 300 calories each, with a snack wiggle room, but the majority are spent on dinner. This has allowed me to continue eating what I love. People always ask me if I have cut out anything from my diet and I always say no. I use real butter, drink wine, and eat pasta! Now, I do try to work in healthy foods and eat more veggies/fruit, but nothing is off limits. Eating mindfully and sticking to portions has truly worked for me.
- Splurge– Since I am usually pretty good during the week, I will always have a “cheat meal” at least once, usually on the weekend. Sometimes it’s dinner at a favorite restaurant and other times a homemade breakfast or dessert. Whatever I decide, it will be something really good and worth the calories.
- Use Your Freezer– I LOVE desserts, but I also don’t need them sitting around staring at me or calling my name. I’ll often freeze cookie dough and baked goods, so that when I do have the calories for it, I’ll be ready!
- Check Your Activity Settings– On MyFitnessPal, you can set your activity level, which will determine how many calories you “get back” through daily activities or exercise. I have mine low on purpose. I know I won’t always have time or make time to exercise. Now, I know how many calories are in a normal day for me. And less stress!!!
- Don’t Stress- Don’t let food stress you out! Sometimes there aren’t any healthy options at a restaurant or someone brings cupcakes to work. At a restaurant, choose the best option, record it and call it a day. If you find the cupcake irresistible, cut it in half or share it with someone else. One meal or snack is not going to ruin you. Consistently eating too many calories and incorrect portions will!
With the holiday season fast approaching, now is the time to refocus and plan ahead. Don’t let stressing over food, ruin your fun! These five tips will help you enjoy those holiday get-togethers and treats!